Classic, elegant, sophisticated, handcrafted and nostalgic – these are just some of the words that aptly describe the doily. In past posts we discussed how to make doily cones and DIY vases, so it’s only fitting that we take the theme a step further – with a doily inspired wedding cake.
There are so many different ways in which the beautifully crafted doily can inspire your wedding cake design – here are a couple of sugary sweet ideas:
- Decorate the wedding cake with round fondant “doilies” in different colours and sizes, folded around the edges of the cake.
- Draw inspiration from the doily stitching and patterns and cover the entire cake in similar embossing.
- Make the fondant doily cut outs in a colour that’s close to the shade of the wedding cake for a vintage and romantic look and feel.
- Alternatively, choose striking contrasting colours to lend a more contemporary touch.
- For a cake that speaks of oriental opulence, paint the fondant doilies with metallic coloured cake paint like gold or bronze.
- Instead of decorating the cake with “doilies”, line the cake stand with an oversized doily to enhance and complement the nostalgic appeal of the wedding cake.
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest