In the minds of most brides, under plates have become something of a mandatory for the wedding celebration. However, there’s no reason why you necessarily have to stick to the traditional under plates or, in fact, hire under plates at all – especially not if you’re on a tight budget!
If you’re looking to break away from the expected and predetermined wedding norms, there are quite a number of alternative options that you might want to consider to the traditional under plate – here are a couple of ideas to get your creative brain going:
- Opt for a round fabric place mat that matches the colour scheme and fabric choice of your wedding.
- Glass or crystal under plates make a stunning alternative to the usual hired plates, and add a little sparkle to even a simple table design.
- Paper of fabric doilies are ideal for a more romantic, feminine or vintage styled wedding.
- Round wooden slabs or carving boards make the perfect addition to a rustic and organic celebration.
- Play around with alternative shapes like squares, rectangles and even hexagons! Whoever said an under plate has to necessarily be round?
- Recycle old vinyls or LPs – simply perfect for a Gatsby or retro style wedding celebration.
- Cut circles or squares out of fabrics like lace, satin or burlap for quick and affordable DIY under plate alternatives.
- Print oversized pictures of you and hubby and have it laminated.
- Fill the space between the plate rim and table with freshly cut blossoms like roses or ranunculi.
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest