While you might instantly associate wicker with your grand parents’ lounge, don’t be too quick to click away, m’darling. This seemingly overused material is back with a bang, and we just adore the warmth and nostalgia that it brings with it.
Wicker is best complemented by light faded vintage fabrics and can also be successfully incorporated into a beach or rustic themed wedding. These days however, wicker is available in just about any colour or wash imaginable, and as a result it lends itself perfectly to more contemporary and ethereal themes as well. Let’s look at a couple of quick ideas for a whimsical wicker wedding:
- Decorate the wedding venue, door frames, ceremony gazebo, wedding aisle and chair backs with wicker hearts or spheres – available from most craft shops and markets.
- Take it a step further by turning the woven wicker shapes into glowing lights – simply wrap fairy light around the shapes or use the shapes as “lanterns” over the little bulbs to create a magical and enchanting ambiance.
- Put old wicker baskets to good use – to hold blankets for the guest, confetti and programmes at the ceremony or rolls on the bread table.
- Keep an eye out for mini wicker picnic baskets, which you can use to serve food at an outdoor wedding.
- Buy a whole stack of mini wicker baskets and use them for the guest favours – whether it be to hold homemade candies or luxurious soaps.
- Incorporate the wicker weave design into that of your cake or wrap real wicker around the base of each tier.
- Decorate the tables with wicker place mats, table runners or candle holders.
- For the cocktail party, create a festive and comfortable outdoor scene by placing wicker furniture out on the lawn for guests to sit on.
- Keep an eye out for wicker room dividers or planter screens to use as backdrop for the bar area or photo booth.
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest