Today’s DIY is pretty simple, but the result is just too magical to describe. Using flowers and sand, you can create budget-friendly centre pieces that are reminiscent of the stark splendor of the dessert and Karoo.
You will need:
- A clear glass vase
- Clean beach sand – Remember that some beaches prohibit the removal of beach sand, so rather purchase a bag from a reputable provider. What’s more, if you purchase it, you’re guaranteed the sand is clean and without strange and undesirable bits).
- A freshly picked flower of your choice – preferably a specie of which a single flower can make a statement.
- A tiny glass bottle (optional) – recycled essence bottles work well
- A syringe (optional)
- A sheet of blank paper
- Sticky tape
To get started:
- Rinse the vase with warm soapy water and allow to dry completely before polishing it well.
- Use the sheet of paper and sticky tape to make a funnel to pour the sand in neatly without dirtying the vase. Simply roll the paper into a cone, tape up the side and snip off the point of the cone to make the funnel.
- Position the funnel over the vase and start funnelling in your sand until you’ve reached the desired level.
NOTE: Steps the steps below are optional. If the flower will survive a day or two without water, simply burry it straight into the sand.
- Next, bury your little glass bottle in the sand so that only the mouth opening sticks out ever so slightly above the sand.
- Cut the stem of the flower so that it’s shorter than the little glass bottle.
- Use a syringe to fill the glass bottle with water and place your flower inside.
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest