Potchefstroom is known largely as an academic town in the North West Province of South Africa. It is home to the acclaimed Potchefstroom Campus of the North-West University. Although Potch, as it is affectionately known, is a major city within its province, it remains a charming, quiet and tranquil retreat from city living. Conveniently, Potch is situated only 125 kilometres from Johannesburg and the OR Tambo International Airport, making it accessible.
The community of Potchefstroom is known for its friendly, welcoming spirit. This sets a comfortable, hospitable scene in which to celebrate your wedding day. Your guests will feel welcomed and will have plenty of options in terms of accommodation, activities and attractions. In addition, you can enjoy a romantic and fun-filled honeymoon in this centrally located destination.
Baillies Manor is one of the most beautiful and popular wedding venues in Potchefstroom. The landscaped gardens and gorgeous water features ensure stunning backdrops to your wedding photographs. In addition, Baillies is situated within the heart of Potch, making it central to guests staying in and around the town. The Honeymoon Suite is equipped with a luxurious Jacuzzi and a private garden to make your first few nights as husband and wife extra special.
During your time in Potchefstroom, whether on honeymoon or as a wedding guest that has decided to extend your stay for a while, we recommend the following fun activities and enticing attractions:
- The Andrew Carnegie Library (a National Monument)
- The City Hall (also a National Monument)
- The beautiful Boskop Dam Nature Reserve (great for angling, yachting and enjoying a romantic picnic)
- The Buffelsvlei Game Park
- The Goetz Fleishack Museum (the only remaining house from the late 1800’s)
- Explore the various hiking trails and appreciate the beauty of the North West Province
- Experience the old-world remnants in the forms of the Old Gunpowder House, the Old Police Station Building, the Kruger Kraal Opstal and the Old Magistrates Office.
- The Old Fort, Museum and Cemetery
- The breath-taking avian species at the OPM-Prozesky Bird Sanctuary, which adjoins a golf course
- The President Pretorius Museum
- Trim Park, an exquisite natural area, home to the Mooi Rivier, and ideal for picnics and walks
- The Vredefort Dome
- Agapé Lion Park
- Feather Hill Spa
- Horse riding in Thorn View
Photo Credit: just-like.net