Mother Nature has done it again! With their untainted natural charm, pine cones take rustic loveliness to a whole new level. While we South Africans know pine cones as Christmas-time pretties, pine cones are generally associated with winter, evoking memories of snow-capped mountains, a fire crackling in the hearth and crisp foggy air.
Whether you’re getting married in the middle of a forest or in a contemporary glass cavern, you simply cannot go wrong with a pine cone. While you’d agree that they’re at their loveliest in natural form, pine cones can be sprayed, painted and decorated in a number of ways and colours. For instance, bling ’em up with glue and sequins or cover them in white paint for a crisp yet organic style wedding.
Here are a bushel of ideas – so let’s get down and creative:
- Carry a bunch of pinecones as a rustic alternative to the normal floral wedding bouquet.
- Slip your place cards between the little “leaves” of the pine cone for a lovely and simple place card holder.
- Attach a piece of fishing line to each pine cone and suspend them from the ceiling to create magical floating décor pieces.
- Fill a tall glass vase with pine cones for a simple and rustic yet highly elegant focal piece.
- Decorate the wedding cake with pine cones and use baby pine cones for cupcakes.
- Make your very own natural “bunting” by attaching or threading the pine cones onto a long length of string.
- Hollow out the top section of the pine cone and place a candle in the hole for a bush-wacker style table adornment.
- Incorporate mini pine cones into your jewellery and the groom’s boutonniere.
- Instead of a ring cushion, tie your rings to a big chunky pine cone.
For more Pine Cone Wedding Ideas, the original photos above and their credits, make sure to check our out Pine Cone Weddings Pinterest Board!