As a theme, “rustic” is defined by its unsophisticated charm and simple beauty. This is especially suitable for couples that are getting married outdoors or in a charming country setting, as well as those that appreciate the beauty of the natural world.
A rustic theme also carries a sense of nostalgia with it; an appreciation of the things around us that we may have forgotten since first discovering them in our childhood – the crackling of an Autumn leaf, the delight at spotting a butterfly, the feeling of sunshine on freckled cheeks.
Incorporating some of the following ideas into your wedding will create a gorgeously rustic look and feel:
- Wild grasses and flowers
- Wooden signboards
- Cross sections of a tree trunk as serving platters or cake stands
- Centrepieces of garden vegetables, twigs or pine cones
- Decorative bees and butterflies
- Bales of hay as guest seating
- Colourful gumboots or wellingtons instead of formal wedding heels
- Glass milk jars as vases
- Galvanised watering cans as table centrepieces
- Display the wedding cake in an antique display cupboard
- Serve home-made lemonade or ginger beer in glass jugs
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest